Friday, August 8, 2014

beginning of 179cm

Last November, at 16, literally fresh out of high school, I boarded a international flight alone for the first time in my life to spend four months in Beijing for schoolies (high school grads book out hotel rooms and drink) with family and exploring my hometown properly.

You know you won't be sleeping during the thirteen hours flight when you discover the person next to you is a loud snorer who doesn't know its inconsiderate to use the person next to him as a pillow. So I landed in Hong Kong for bleary eyed. Six hours meant too much time to kill in an airport terminal, and too little to attempt going to the mainland.

One hour was killed by sleeping (albeit uncomfortable), sprawling my long body across four or five seats (there was no one around ok). Managed to kill another two by hunting some food. Testing my macbook's capacities took another hour and the remaining two were went by with a impulse shopping spree, consisting mostly of Disneyland (and comparing HK prices to Australian prices in duty free). Another four hours on a plane found me in Beijing; coldest night of the year so far. I went directly from the blazing heat of Australia into the frost of winter, my body was not happy to say the least. 

The first few days were spent adjusting to polluted air and settling back into my great grandmother's humble abode, feeling great to be home and slightly awkward that there was a maid (i could totally get used to having someone cook and clean for me). But nothing prepared me for the onslaught of Chinese lessons from a tutor (courtesy of le papa) who constantly nitpicked at my work like a famished crow. That was no fun. At all. Really.

Shopping for clothes was always interesting (oh, how is she so BIG?! they'd "whisper"). I also visited or was visited by family members near and slightly further. Altogether, I was sick three times during my stay; two of which were in the first three weeks. Enough of my blab, here are some photos from the first few days.


the walls and corridors of most apartments are appalling; permanent advertisements everywhere. 


first day meal: fried fish thrown in boiling sauce.


warm looking weather; bitter reality.


custard cream flavoured popcorn


the view from my 32nd floor room, can you see the pollution?


some restaurant's lighting.


something you must try in beijing, candied crabapples. just try find indoor vendors if you're a hygiene freak like i am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment